Friday, February 3, 2012

Romance in Monochrome

Casablanca. hmmmmm. The word itself smells like the aroma of an early morning coffee. Casablanca. 

Last time I saw the movie was some 2 years ago, with my grandmother, after a four (excruciating) hour marathon (yes! marathon!) on Fiddler on the Roof. 

That famous "Here's to looking at you, kid" still makes me swoon like a 14-year old on a Beatles concert. Then "Well, only one answer can take care of all our questions." and BOOOM! Just 2 (of the many famous) one-liners and the movie got a staggering 8 (point something) on IMDB some 70 years from then. Not that the ratings matter (well, actually, they do) but I still think the greatest movies in Hollywood were the ones in monochrome. Easy for me to say, yes, with the advent of IMAX, BluRay and 3D in my time but still, just as antiques become more expensive by the years and scores that they stand, I guess, so are the films. 

To be honest, I've only seen a few flicks in black and white, not more than what I could count with my fingers (on one hand!), but I wish times were just as when these flicks came out. When movies houses are full on the weekends and "drive-in cinemas" are sold-out on popcorns. With the rise of internet streaming and downloading, I think the movie experience has gone a far lower notch (not unless you've got a full-set movie theater complete with Dolby sound system and a 1920 x 1080 display resolution monitor/projector). 

Nevertheless, as long as the flick is worth watching (and of course, worth buying! NO TO INTERNET PIRACY!hihiiii) may it be on a barn, or a pub, or on your Windows 97 PC, then it automatically becomes a blockbuster... to any generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment