Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Movie of my Year (2012)

This tradition started out as a countdown to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen back in 2009. My brother and I would be listing down the films that we would strictly watch in the theaters. It was feasible at first but until IMAX (Tron) came into the market, we eventually resorted to the, well... you know. We be good laddies drinking o'er leaping barnacles!

This year's list was a countdown to The Hobbit for the very obvious reason that, it's the Hobbit!!! 

The following are my top 5 favorites of this year's list. This is generally based on the film's entirety.  Not really familiar with the different aspects of making a film a blockbuster (aside from its sales) but story-wise, general cinematic visual effects, direction, and goosepimple moments, these are the top 5 that made it to the list: (all of which were seen on the theater house)

5. Prometheus. A total mind-fvck  (especially) if you've seen the Alien franchise. But I think that's just me, trying my hardest to connect the 33-year-gap-dots between the Weaver franchise to that of Rapace's.  I honestly did not understand the film on my first viewing because I was literally preoccupied with looking for familiar scenes and references from the Ellen Ripley series. The film was generally awesmazing! Talk about Ancient Aliens and all, this film has  literally made that Giorgio Tsoukalos nerd shat in his shorts!

4. Have you read my tribute article for Brave?

3. Here's a review of my tribute for Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight (Rises) franchise

2. The Hobbit. Of course. Yeah yeah it didn't make it to the top(not that it matters, Peter Jackson is probably swimming in 100 dollar bills as I type) but it is, in fact, worth being the movie countdown basis of the year. Yes, I've read the book, seen the crappy cartoon 1960s movie and a die-hard fan of the Tolkien-Jackson book-film adaptation but, I don't know, is it me or was the whole movie's pacing a tad bit dragging? Nevertheless, I would definitely watch the whole film again, anytime, and perhaps by then, I'd be awake, for the whole 3 hours.

1. The lucky number 9 on the list. An unexpected watch. Was originally planning to see the film on DVD Rip but thanks to SM Cinemas, BEST 2012 MOVIE EVER!!! Rurouni Kenshin. I have been a fan of the series since I even knew cable TV existed. I even deemed Aoshi Shinomori my first EVER crush  since I knew Mark Wahlberg (w-e-i-r-d!!!) So imagine my awe and giddyness when I saw Kenshin in live action 1080p in the theater! The techniques, fight scenes, ghaaaaaaaad!!! I can't... I mean... I couldn't... Ghaaaad!!! Though a few scenes from the animated series were cut-off from the film, the movie was generally good enough for hardcore Samurai X fans like myself.

Notable Others. Top 5 notable films that were worth my time and moolah.
5. Battleship
4. The Avengers
3. The Amazing (chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield) Spiderman
2. We bought a Zoo.
1.The odd life of Timothy Green (a definite Torrent-download favorite).

Definite personal flops. These are the films that were very good with the trailers... yeah, just the trailers.
2. Mirror Mirror
1. Wrath of the Titans. Especially since I was planning to make this a number 2 for this year's movie countdown.
Would've probably placed John Carter a definite  placer on this category but, though it did have an almost-close-to-lousy trailer, it did not disappoint as a film in general. But I don't think I'd still be a fan of the adaptation.

So, that's it. Check out Teaser-Trailer (not mine) for the latest movie trailers in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment